StartUp Cup Announces Nonprofit Status, Rebrands as GriffinWorx
Change will Expand Opportunities for Entrepreneurs in More than 60 Countries
August 4, 2016
StartUp Cup, a global network of entrepreneurial mobilization projects empowering communities, governments, and entrepreneurs from all backgrounds, is proud to announce that it has moved from for-profit to non-profit status and has renamed the organization GriffinWorx as it expands its suite of products and services.
The announcement was made at the 2016 World Startup Cup Finals held in Washington, DC August 3-5. The winners of 65 national competitions all over the world will compete for the prestigious title of World StartUp Cup champion and $50,000 in Amazon Web Services credit ($25K credits to first place winner, $15K credits to second place winner, and $10K to third place winner).
“At our core, we are a service for promising new businesses, but our for-profit status was holding us back. By converting to a not-for-profit we will now open ourselves up to more funding opportunities, better partnership possibilities, and the ability to take on more projects, ultimately increasing our impact and service to the entrepreneurs in our network,” said Sean Griffin, CEO & Founder of GriffinWorx.
Sean brings 20+ years of practical entrepreneurial experience having founded or co-founded 21 successful businesses and 3 non-profit organizations. Regarded as a community-builder, Sean has provided visual thinking tools as a graphic facilitator for Fortune 100 companies, government agencies, not-for-profits, and emerging companies all over the world.
GriffinWorx will continue to operate its portfolio of proprietary and inclusive economic empowerment programming in over 60 countries that have generated over 4,000 businesses, created over 40,000 jobs and generated over $744 million in economic impact.
GriffinWorx is an inclusive economic and gender empowerment organization that helps our partners achieve meaningful and enduring impact around the world. We bring the entrepreneurial spirit, courage and innovation of a world-class firm to address some of the world’s toughest challenges. Our team of change agents is focused on creating value for our partners and measurable social impact through our work.
- We focus on the 98% | Less than 2% of all startups with a viable business model are able to raise money from investors. GriffinWorx focuses on the 98% of all entrepreneurs and startups who are not gaining access to the tools, resources, and financing opportunities that will give their new company the opportunity to grow.
- Bootstrapping Methodology | Our mantra is: “You don’t need funding, you need revenue.” We teach people how to start and build a business no matter what resources are currently available and how to grow those resources as a way to fund their new business venture.
- Turn-Key Products | GriffinWorx licenses curriculum to “hyper-local” grassroots organizers, corporations, universities, government entities, business service providers and nonprofit organizations who need high impact and practical entrepreneurship training programs beyond the glitz and glamour of Silicon Valley entrepreneurship. Our programs focus on building viable and sustainable businesses that are investment-ready..
- | GriffinWorx has a proprietary collection of self-guided visual thinking tools, VizToolz®. Each tool builds on the previous one, guiding entrepreneurs from any background or educational level, from vetting an idea to scaling the business.
- Visual Thinking Design Tools | GriffinWorx has a proprietary collection of self-guided visual thinking tools, VizToolz®. Each tool builds on the previous one, guiding entrepreneurs from any background or educational level, from vetting an idea to scaling the business.
- Hyper-Local Partners | GriffinWorx builds capacity by focusing on empowering our ‘hyper-local” partners with the knowledge and skills for improving their operational and organizational capabilities. to meet their goals and objectives. Our success comes from building the capacity of our partners to the level of GriffinWorx team members.
- Entrepreneurs Growing Entrepreneurs | GriffinWorx’s leadership is made up of entrepreneurs who are dedicated to being a part of positive change in the communities in which they live.